Saturday, January 5, 2008

Bunny le Rue has left the building-temporarily

As I write this I am reminded that this time last year we were all in shock from the sudden passing of our great friend, John. It still seems impossible that a year has gone by already. On Monday it will be a year since his funeral and yet it seems just like yesterday we all stood together and remembered our dear friend. Among the tears were also laughter with the memories of John living on long after he is gone. I still think back to things we did and laugh out loud. I have grown close to his mother and father and often see them around town and feel privileged to know them. I still feel his presence every now and then. When I hear a great Disco song; when I'm cooking something and have a question; when I 'm trying to coordinate some clothing or fabric, organizing my closets, etc. He is never very far. He is sorely, sorely missed. He still manages to cross my thoughts at least once or twice a day. Most of all I think of his smile and how brightly it shined.
Love You Juanito! :-)
Te amo, me amor
Vamos a bailar cuando la musica esta perfecta con sus amigos, me amor.
Deportes bien, juan! :-)

Note: After writing this yesterday, I decided to come back and edit a little. It felt a little too much like a final goodbye and that's not what it was meant to be at all, but a love letter to a dear friend.
Tomorrow it will be a year since we all said our final farewells-even at your funeral you made us laugh! Between the priest who you couldn't understand in either language, to the cell phone ringing in the middle of the priest asking a question about you (that got big laughs from our pew), to Hathor nonchalantly mentioning when it was time for the wine (can't remember what it's called) that this was your favourite part. When I said, "oh he liked this part?" She replied, "no, he finally got to drink some wine!" To us having a rather heated (but friendly) discussion about how many flowers to put in each vase and then how many vases to put on each table. After a while I finally said, "you know if John were here this wouldn't be a problem! He would just look at it and say _________" That got a good laugh. I also remember how you made me clean my closets for days on end starting as soon as I got back from the funeral, and even when I refused after the 3rd day of organizing you still made sure I got in a quick 10 minute session-then you went to Hathors house to help her out.
Hasta manana!

No comments: