Wednesday, May 9, 2007

It's going to be a hot one!!

Normally I don't post during the week because it's too crazy, but I got up early to pay bills and thought...oh, why not.
So...Yesterday it was 96 degrees!! Phew it was hot, even for me and I LOVE hot weather. I went down to the garden and discovered to my surprise that I had 2 small green tomatoes and a pattypan squash starting. I don't know where they all came from-must be the heat. It also looks like the beans are getting ready to do something to! and the cucumbers look like they are doing well too. I even picked some lettuce to add to a salad I'm having for lunch today. Yum.
Between my garden and work (job #2) I zipped down to the farmer's market. I love going on tuesdays because I can park at work and walk up just one block and I'm there. Actually due to construction on the street for the past several months the market had been moved up a block or so and it wasn't until I walked back to work that I realized that the street had been re-opened and it was back in it's old/orginal location. The market is becoming more and more exciting as more summer-type things start appearing. I bought blueberries, my first white peaches and some apricots. I only bought a few though since I wasn't sure about the flavour this early on. I'm trying to remember what the heck I bought...I had enough stuff for 2 large bags...Oh, I bought a 3-pack of the most delicious and juicy strawberries, which I took one of the baskets back to work and shared with my co-workers, who all loved them. I also shared one of my white peaches with a friend who had gotten addicted to them last summer (at my urging for her to just try one!); eggs; a spicy argula salad mix, mixed bag of lettuce (until mine is more prolific), a beautiful boquet of mulit-coloured radishes. It took me awhile to unpack everything once I did get home. Can't wait to eat lunch. Tuna Salad (with homemade mayo) on a bed of spicy arugula mix and lettuce with a melange (okay, so I don't really know what that is, but it sounds like a good thing to throw in) of shredded carrots, persian cucumbers and a side of radishes, avocado and a bit of pirate booty for good measure AND a bowl of fresh strawberries, blueberries and blackberries...only 6 more hours until I can eat my lunch!! Whoo Hoo! Guess I should start getting ready...things to iron, gather, organize and...can't forget my lunch :-)
It's "only" going to be 87 today :-) Well, maybe not-between the fog that is lingering of the coast and the smoke from the fire at Griffith Observatory it's a wonder the sun can get through all that. Good thing I work IN town farther away from the ocean. Dar! I just looked out the window and the fog is actually coming in fast-things are disappearing off the freeway...guess I better take a change of clothes, just in case. ...

No comments: